Saturday 1 December 2012

Beautiful Book of the Month: December

The Hobbit By J.R.R. Tolkien













Published November 2012
ISBN:  9780007487301
Format: Special Edition Clothbound Hardback
HarperCollins
www.harpercollins.co.uk


I put off buying a copy of The Hobbit months ago, because I wanted something special. Something that will last for years. After all, if you're going to buy a classic why wouldn't you want something that will look beautiful on the shelf and periodically tempt you back to the lovely story within its pages?

Part of my obsessive enthusiasm for "beautiful books" is the fact that they are books that demand attention; they refuse to be ignored. With every fleeting glance towards the bookshelves, these extraordinary books stand out and coax me to come closer, to run my fingers gently over their covers and dare me to open their pages and read what's within.

No matter how tall or time sensitive my "To Read" pile grows, there’s always that nagging knowledge that some new shiny proof or book release that will inevitably push some books further from my mental priority list and lower and lower in that teetering pile. In the worse cases, they are moved to another stack of teetering books located in my bedroom with an even later promised read by date dustily associated with them. Heaven forbid they end up in the dark no man’s land that is the cramped space under my bed. I'm too scared at the prospect of hunting down a hidden gem in that poorly constructed labyrinth of lost reading material. It always conjures up an image of me being found 2 weeks later buried under a massive paper avalanche...or never being found at all.


In contrast, there’s an unspoken understanding exchanged and renewed each morning as I pass by my cherished bookcase that houses my special editions. that first initial spark of enthusiasm; that feeling of anticipation and excitement you get when picking up a new book; it never fades away in time with these books like it does with my other reading piles. I may read dozens or even hundreds of stories before I eventually pluck one of the enticing tomes off the shelf, but I know, without a doubt, that I will inevitably visit each of their worlds.

That’s the main reason why I took my time selecting an edition of The Hobbit. I didn't want a cheap throwaway paperback to read as quickly as possible before the upcoming film release. I'm already aware that the story is fantastic and to honour both it and my fond childhood memories, it had to be something deserving and desirable.

I was going to cave in and buy this edition of The Hobbit, when by chance I came across a new listing for this absolutely stunning hardback. Stunned is the perfect word to describe my reaction to seeing this lovely book. As I stood for a few seconds starring somewhat dumbfounded at the screen image, it slowly seeped into my pretty book occupied brain that it was absolutely perfect. Just what I always wanted and was waiting that extra bit for. It may sound a bit melodramatic, but that’s how it felt at that moment. Nothing is worse than the feeling you get when you finally settle for something, think you’re happy with it and suddenly the next day there’s that perfect item you were looking for, the one you gave up believing even existed, staring you right in the face. So am I excused for doing a little mental happy dance when I finally purchased this? There may have been a little discreet cover stroking and whispering of “My Precious” in a secluded corner of the shop as well. That may not be as excusable…

This collector’s edition is being advertised as a special film tie-in hardback with a design “inspired by The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey”, but I'm happy that HarperCollins decided not to go the normal route of using either a promotional movie still or the official film poster image for the cover. Instead, we are presented with a modern, yet timeless illustrative scene of Mirkwood forest, complete with a delicate splattering of butterflies hovering above its towering trees.

“There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something. You certainly usually find something, if you look, but it is not always quite the something you were after.”
                         ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Patience is not a virtue that I’m blessed with. I’m a notorious compulsive buyer of books; both the state of my flat and bank account can attest to that, but in this case I’m extremely glad that I decided to extend my search for the perfect edition. Not only did I end up with an unexpected surprise that will lead me on an unexpected journey, but I couldn’t have hoped for a more wonderful choice to guide me there and back again. 

3 comments:

  1. Hello,

    I am a happy owner of HarperCollins beautiful 50th Anniversary Edition of The Hobbit, but I am also thinking about buying the one you have :) Could you tell if there are any pictures or maps inside? And what about the paper? Is is yellowish or is it white?

    All the best,

    Joanna :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Joanna,

    I would definitely encourage you to get this lovely edition. There are about 9 illustrations (10 if you count the title page) that are reproductions of the drawings done by J.R.R. Tolkien and the end pages are maps of Wilderland and Thor's Map. They are really well contrasted and enlarged for the larger format. The paper is more of a light cream colour, standard book paper really, not glaringly pristine white or noticeably yellowed to look aged.

    It is a really beautiful book. Again, it's one that if you see in real life it's hard not to fall in love with. The texture of the cloth binding and the lovely vibrant cover is something I couldn't really photograph quite right, but if you have a good local bookshop I would say pop in and see if they have a copy for you to take a look at. The ISBN is on the top of this feature so just ask a bookseller to check. I hope that helps a little bit!

    Rayna :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, I am going to get one then! :)

    Take care!

    Joanna

    ReplyDelete

  © Blogger templates Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP