Wednesday 1 May 2013

An Unexpected Interlude...

I want to apologize for my sudden and unexpected hiatus from this blog. I didn't mean to suddenly stop writing without any warning, but I have found myself struggling with some personal issues over the last few months that had momentarily caused me to lose enthusiasm for most things.

I find writing for this website puts me in the odd position of composing a blog that is not about my personal life or experiences, but about my opinions on books I've recently read, the book industry in general and the important role that books play in my day to day routine. The thing is, this is a personal project and my writing style has never been particularly objective. I've never been able to detach myself from my emotions when constructing reviews which I don't think is necessarily a bad thing. If a book doesn't evoke enough of an emotional response then any commentary regarding it becomes bland. Without passion, whether it is positive or negative, words become monotonous.

But what to do when my real life bleeds into my entries? I have rambled on about my quirky obsession with books ahead of some of my book reviews before, but nothing that wasn't somewhat relevant to the topic and always light-hearted. I'm sorry, but I feel the need to explain my long absence, even if only as a record for myself and no one else. It just feels too jarring to suddenly come back with a random cheery "I'm back!" post or flood the blog with my growing folder of backlogged critiques. So bear with me, while I get this out of my system and I promise I won't do this often or hopefully ever again.          

Looking back at my first post, I mentioned that one of the reasons I decided to start this website was because I realized during my shop's refit that I needed to make some time for my own projects and that my life was being consumed by work.  What I failed to mention then is the reason I decided on a blog as my creative outlet was because I injured my dominant hand quite badly and couldn't indulge in my other major passion: drawing. That was about 10 months ago and it has never really healed. Over the past months, I was let go from my physiotherapist under the mutual knowledge that my wrist was still damaged and a few weeks after that I discovered a small tremor in my hand.  It's a hard concept to wrap your head around that something that is a constant source of pleasure and pride in your life may not be possible to do any more. At least, not with the same ease or skill. It's a hard fact to swallow. I could feel myself unravelling; become unmade. Those events left me in a dazed stupor and I'm only just starting to snap out of it. I'm hoping that my hand will improve in time or at the very least I get over the fear and let my trembling hand finally hold a pencil again.

What I found both surprising and alarming is that for the first time in my life, losing myself in a good book couldn't shake me out of my state of apathy. I've always found books to be a great form of escapism. They are the only foolproof method that I've found where I can forget for a moment that I am me and lose myself in another world, another character and just block out for a few blissful hours all my issues and worries. They are tiny pieces of sanity I keep within arms reach for emergencies and peace of mind. While I can't say that I've had a horrific childhood worthy of immortalization in the 'Painful Lives' section in biography (whose books are easily distinguished by the cover images of a sad child set against a blazing white background), I certainly didn't grow up with a normal family or under normal circumstances. I think the oddness of my childhood years is what drove me to read piles and piles of books.

I want to thank everyone who has commented about this little experiment of mine. I never thought it would have lasted this long and it hasn't been a complete disaster. I'm looking forward to writing my next few posts. I'm going to tackle reviewing my first cookbook with pictures of my hopefully triumphant attempts to create something that looks remotely like the images next to the recipes, a review of a book from someone I "sort of" know and one from someone I know very well and my first "bad" review.

I appreciate all the kind words and encouragement everyone has passed on to me, even though I don't think of myself as much of a writer. I apologize for the seriousness of this post and I hope I haven't made anyone feel awkward in its reading, but hopefully you'll stick around and everything will be all sunny again. *smiles*
   

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're back. Iknow we don't know each other well IRL but I was pleased to discover you wrote reviews and was sad when you vanished.

    Sorry to hear about your hand.

    -Caitlin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *smiles* Thanks for saying that, Caitlin. Is it sad that it took me at least 10 seconds to figure out what IRL meant? *laughs* That made me feel seriously old. I think the taboo of knowing someone "in real life" versus online is disappearing. I don't think the majority of us are pretending to be someone else. If anything sometimes the artificial barrier allows us to be more ourselves. I think you can know someone just as well or even better online than in real life.

      Ack... I'm rambling now. Just wanted to say that even though I don't hang out with you in real life, it doesn't make you any less "real" to me and I really appreciate the fact that you care. Thanks. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm delighted that you're back, Rayna. I visited your blog from time to time to see if there were any new posts, hoping that your absence was temporary rather than permanent. Now I'm looking forward eagerly to reading your book reviews again. I can't wait to read your first 'bad' review :)

    You might be interested to know that I follow about six blogs regularly and, of these, yours is my absolute favourite. Even when there were no new posts to read here, I enjoyed feasting my eyes on the fantastic design of this site. And when there are new posts to read, your reviews are always insightful and beautifully written.

    I'm so sorry to learn that you've been haunted by fears about your damaged hand, and I dearly hope that it won't be long now before you can pick up a pencil again with optimism. I've been a member of the Cranky Club for most of my adult life, so I empathise deeply with your need to keep tiny pieces of sanity within arm's reach for emergencies. Congratulations, then, on finding the inner strength to bulldoze your way through the wall of apathy which has separated you from your love of reading and from your blog.

    And finally, I'd like to respond to your observation that you don't see yourself as much of a writer. I spent my whole working life as a journalist in the newspaper industry, so I like to think that I recognise good writing when I see it. And whenever I read your blog, I see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chris for always saying such lovely things to me. It's always a pleasure hearing nice things said about your own work, but it always made me happy that you really enjoyed reading my little commentaries. I always thought of them as random tangents that really had no place on a site that is supposed to be about book reviews rather than book musings, but it always seemed to put a smile on your face when you mentioned them to me. I'm really sorry we haven't had a chance to catch up over tea. It's almost 5 months later and I feel incredibly guilty about not taking you up on your generous offer for such an inexcusable amount of time! I hope this post goes a small way to explain why I have been a bit out of touch with everyone over the last few months. I don't think I was particularly good company to be around. I feel bad for my colleagues who had to deal with me day after day without any explanation or escape. ;)

      Hopefully I'll be a bit more consistent and productive here so there is plenty to read. *hugs you* And thanks for saying I'm not the most terrible writer you've come across. *winks*

      Delete
  3. Yeah this was totally awkward to read cuz of all that seriousness!! :D Hehe nah, I kid. I'm happy you're back also, Rayna, and happy you feel that urge to get back into the swing of things. That sucks about your hand, but it will definitely be 100 percent again, you'll see. Happy blogging. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *smiles* Thanks Lindy. I can't believe you're still reading my crappy stuff! I thought my whiney xanga blog would have put you off my writing a long time ago! *winks*

      I am feeling much better. Less sorry for myself and actually quite pleased that a new doctor is planning on getting my hand properly looked at. It's kind of amazing the difference it makes when a good doctor actually listens and cares. Hopefully the hand will get sorted. *fingers crossed* :)

      Delete

  © Blogger templates Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP